February 11, 2013

Paris in February. Part 1

178 Flares

178 Flares

×

While I wouldn’t recommend traveling in Europe in February, I couldn’t resist going to Paris to visit a friend this past weekend. We got fairly lucky with the weather the first few days (I mean really lucky – it rained while we were inside and once we needed to walk somewhere, it was sunny), but unfortunately, the last day included a lot of snow/slush/rain. On the last day we slept in and had a lovely brunch where they served the usual (for Canada) bacon and eggs, the usual (for France) croissants, pain au chocolat, and then an unusual mix of salmon, herring, beef bourguignon, lentil salads and brownies. I pretty much progressed from breakfast to lunch to dinner in a span of a few hours.

Anyway, while the last day didn’t involve any picture-taking, the first few days were full of good shots (and I was fortunate to have my very patient friend indulge my hobby). So here are a few photos from my walk in Paris.

First, we made our way up to Sacré Coeur in Montmartre…
Sacre coeur paris france

Sacre coeur paris france

Sacre coeur paris france

…then we made our way through the crowds and climbed to the rooftop café of Printemps department store where we had a beautiful view overlooking the city and, of course, the Eiffel Tower.
eiffel tower paris france evening
eiffel tower paris france evening

eiffel tower paris france evening

opera garnier paris france

… and now I’m beginning to mixup when we saw what, so here’s a photo of the Montparnasse tower.

Paris France Tower Montparnasse

Rendez-vous sur Hellocoton !

6 Comments

1. Ziba

February 12, 2013 at 8:26 pm — Reply

I currently live in Paris and the weather has been so awful this winter! I don’t know if it’s like this every winter but it’s still worth visiting because of how beautiful this city is! Really nice crisp photos you’ve got here.

• admin

February 12, 2013 at 10:30 pm — Reply

Hi! Thanks!
      It’s my first winter in France too and compared to sunny (but horribly cold) Canada, it’s been a challenge getting used to all the rain and clouds. I made a mental note to go back in the summer so that I can actually walk around without freezing while taking photos.

2. Olithee

February 13, 2013 at 9:49 am — Reply

I am french and been forever living in Paris, I am also back from Byron Bay Australia and I gotta say the climate is a real problem here !

• admin

February 13, 2013 at 8:29 pm — Reply

Ha! That’s funny because two of my friends also recently mentioned how they think back to how warm and sunny Australia was (when we’re having such depressing weather here in Grenoble).

3. Grenobloise

February 13, 2013 at 8:53 pm — Reply

Beautiful photos! I’m glad you had some decent weather for most of your trip. Next time I visit Paris I would like to visit the Montparnasse tower as well.

• admin

February 13, 2013 at 9:02 pm — Reply

Thanks!
      Notice how the photo of the tower is from the ground? That’s because the day we decided to go to the top, there was a sign on the door saying that it was closed just for that day because of a power outage on the 56th floor. I was a bit disappointed, but really happy that I wasn’t in the elevator during the power outage!